Tuesday, July 3, 2018

No superchargers? No problem!

I spent 3 days in Moncton, New Brunswick Canada with an old friend and his family/local friends. It was also Canada Day (bonus) so we also got to see fireworks. I stayed at the Delta Beausejour, right on main street with a view of the "chocolate river." The fireworks were right over the river, which we watched from the indoor pool area (pool, hot tub, water slide- adults could use it too!).

Ok, now for what you are waiting for- can you make it without superchargers? The answer is yes! The hotel had a J1772 charger about 10-20 steps from the front door, so I plugged into that every night and it was just like plugging in at home (except it was free). I woke up every morning ready to go with a 90% charge (the limit I set).  We did some chilling at the pool, some local walking around, and some daily commute type driving plus some extra touristy driving one day, I had no problems with range lasting all day and there were a bunch of J1772 stations all over to get a boost from should I have needed it. These are located at convenient places like restaurants, grocery stores, malls, etc. I used one on the way back across the border as insurance getting back to the first supercharger in Maine and had zero issues getting it working. I stopped into the 5 Kings restaurant in St Stephens, plugged in, and let it charge for an hour while I read my book & had lunch. When I left the restaurant I had added about 30 miles to the car, just enough to give me the extra cushion I wanted. I could have made it with 7% left, but as you know I don't like cutting it that close on electricity. My dad is probably doing a happy dance, he bugged me all the time about being low on gas (I did once run out of gas a block away from the gas station though). The difference I guess is that I know there are not as many places to "fill up" on electricity so I am more mindful of it. Not range anxiety, just fuel aware. I have found that the car does really well at keeping up with how much real range you have left.

Time for bed now; I will catch up on the stats next time. Here is a pic of me and Nik in Ponte-du-Chene off the Northumberland Straight  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Home, final numbers

Day 18- I came home a day early (see the post that I should have made Sunday) so I got home last night around 8pm. I was too tired to go ahe...