Sunday, July 1, 2018

Destination #3, New Brunswick Canada

After heading out from Old Orchard Beach, Maine, I stopped at the Brewer supercharger near Bangor for a "safety net" boost. My in car navigation said I could make it to my destination for the day without charging, but I was going to be driving through the mountains, so I wanted to be sure I had a cushion just in case. Plus it was again storming throughout most of the drive. The car performed great in the bad weather, and did fabulous on the mountain roads though, I am super impressed with the autopilot capabilities, this system has made the drive so much easier! I love the smooth quiet ride of the car, the instant power when I press the accelerator, and the ability to pass up expensive gas stations and giggle as I go by. :-)

I arrived at my destination with 25% battery left and it had predicted I would get there with 30% when I left Brewer. Overall not bad considering road conditions, wind, heavy rain, and mountains, plus the fact I had to again have on either the heater or the seat heaters almost the whole way, along with both window defrosters. I also got stopped and searched at the Canadian border so the car sat idling for about 30 minutes while border patrol went through every bag and storage compartment in the car.  Apparently a single female driving across the border alone with no visible luggage sends up red flags (FYI this happens at airports as well). LOL They were surprised when I unlocked the car for them from my phone, and totally impressed at the interior and storage. They figured out the touch screen right away to open the trunk and frunk, checked out the car and my bags, asked a bunch of questions (about the trip AND the car) and let me go. I told them they could have just asked to see the car and I would have showed them around it and they laughed. Shout out to the Canadian border patrol officers with a good sense of humor.

My destination for the day was the Ganong Nature Park, just across the boarder near St Stephens, New Brunswick, Canada. I had arranged with the caretakers to have the gate left open for me so I could plug into their new Tesla destination chargers (they recently installed 2) and sleep in the car while I charged up overnight. It was still raining when I arrived but it was earlier than planned (I took off early due to the weather) so I checked the building for security cameras (under my umbrella), changed into comfy pj's, set up my bed, and made a few phone calls before settling in with a movie and falling asleep. While I was watching the movie I had a couple visitors, one set was a couple of deer checking me out, the other was some type of large cat (I THINK it may have been a bobcat? not sure). I woke up the next morning and one of the employees had already arrived and unlocked the bathroom so I went in to use it and change clothes. When I got out the others had arrived so I thanked them again and let one drive the car around the lot.  Shout out to Shelley & the guys!

 


From there I continued on to Moncton, NB, Canada for a few days of hanging out with a friend there. As of my arrival in Moncton, my updated numbers for the trip are:

miles driven: 2106
kwh used: 513 (that is 4.1 miles per kwh)
cost of electricity $38.19
cost of gas: $252.62
total savings: $214.43
time added for charging: less than 2.5 hours (overnight charging are places I would have stayed the night anyway)

I will talk about driving around Canada without superchargers in the next post in a few days, for now here are some pics of the Ganong nature park and some landscape from the drive up Maine:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home, final numbers

Day 18- I came home a day early (see the post that I should have made Sunday) so I got home last night around 8pm. I was too tired to go ahe...